KimYe. Vs. Kate: Lessons in Fame and Relationshipsby Jillian Lucas on January 27, 2013
When it comes to famous couples, Kim Kardashian/Kanye West and Kate Middleton/Prince William now top the list (have Brangelina finally been unseated for good?). With the announcement of impending parenthood for both young couples, it’s time to acknowledge the fact that while the 2 pairs share a massive spotlight, they couldn’t be more different when it comes to balancing (and courting) fame versus nurturing their relationships. Here’s a closer look at the Kim-to-Kate spectrum.
- Released sex tape with then boyfriend Ray-J. Sales are now skyrocketing because of her pregnancy.
- How many ridiculous ‘razzi-bait scenes will she and Kanye create?
- ‘Ye announced her pregnancy onstage at his concert.
- She’ll be showing the world the baby pictures how? But isn’t going to sell them, really, she swears.
- Made a statement about “being more private” now that she’s pregnant. But did so on the David Letterman Show, which seems a tad counter-intuitive.
- Stars in a multiple, separate, reality TV shows that show every detail of her family’s high-profile life.
- Has turned herself into a massive mega-brand.
- Will have her divorce trial be aired on TV and open to the public.
- Pushing boundaries by being pregnant but not married to the father, all (while going through a wildly public divorce).
- Instead of tweeting inspiring notes to fellow mothers-to-be, she shows off the $34,650 Louis Vuitton jewelry that Kayne bought her…for being pregnant.
- While there hasn’t been a press release and/or tweet from Kim or Kanye to explain how they’ll be parenting their first child, there has already been a Mad Magazine mock book cover, What To Expect When Kim’s Expecting. It explains how to properly “market your sonogram” and how to “cast pediatricians for your reality show.”
- A topless-photos scandal infuriated both the couple and the palace and led to a lawsuit, which they won. The result was a new standard for “appropriate” tabloid fodder.
- Even with the world watching, Kate manages to remain private and poised. It took her almost two weeks to reappear in the public eye after being released from the hospital following her morning sickness.
- Through no fault of her own, a privacy breach in the hospital she was staying in became a national crisis. Unable to find a peaceful place to handle this tough time, Kate is nonetheless avoiding any public meltdowns.
- Despite her humble beginnings, Kate has never let the fame of becoming a princess dictate her personality.
- Kate and William, despite their royal status, want to have as normal lives as possible. William goes to extra measures to make their home in Norfolk “invisible” to the impending paparazzi, and Kate even goes to the grocery store herself.
- Even with her personal duties as Dutchess of Cambridge, she and William are adorable.
- The Royal Morning Sickness was pretty unavoidable in the news. Regardless of the press coverage on her pregnancy, she did not release a press statement or make a scene surrounding her growing family. She instead allowed the palace to decide how to handle the situation, which they did in a professional manner.
- Tabloids have been inventing a baby bump for a while, but we can only expect a proper parenting plan when the baby is here. They don’t plan to spoil the child and will avoid as much of the limelight for as long as they possibly can while still maintaining their status in the public eye.