HowAboutWe.com “Chemistry Happen Offline” Contest Official Rulesby Scott Alden on February 12, 2012
- Open only to legal residents of any one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older at time of entry. The following individuals are not eligible: Employees, contractors, directors and officers of This Life, Inc. (“Sponsor”), and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliated companies, distributors, Web design, advertising, fulfillment, insurance agencies, judging and Contest agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of this Contest (collectively, “Contest Parties”), and the immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and spouse or “step”) of each and those living in the same households (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least three months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Contest) of each such employee, contractor, director or officer.
2. CONTEST PERIOD:
- You may enter the Contest between 12:00:00 am Eastern Standard Time on February 14th, 2012 and 11:59:59 pm CT on March 23rd, 2012 (“Contest Period”).
3. TO ENTER:
- To enter the Contest, go to the Contest Rules Blog Post, during the Contest Period. Follow the on-screen instructions to properly complete and submit a registration form for the Contest. In order to be eligible for the contest, you will be required to agree that you have (a) read or have had these Official Rules read to you and you are in agreement with these Official Rules, and (b) received permission for the use of the image/likeness of any and all identifiable persons appearing in your Submission. You may use a generic release form to confirm permissions from persons appearing in your Submission. Submissions that do not include all required information and adhere to the Official Rules as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion will be considered void. Once uploaded, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, remove, delete and/or disqualify any Submission and/or Entrant (as defined in “Additional Requirements” below) it deems inappropriate or otherwise non-compliant.
The creative assignment for the Contest (“Creative Assignment”) is as follows:
- Create and submit a short video spot (15 seconds to 3 minutes in length) that answers the question “What does ‘Chemistry Happens Offline’ mean to you?”
- The video that receives the mosts “likes” on Sponsor’s Youtube page (link) by the end of the Contest Period will be declared the Grand Prize Winner.
- The Winner of the “Staff Pick” Award will be determined by a committee made up of employees of HowAboutWe.
- Video files must be provided in one of the following file formats: .MPEG; .MOV; .AVI; or .WMV
- Submission must be primarily in English.
- All submissions must be uploaded by 11:59:59 pm Eastern Standard Time on March 23rd, 2012.
- The person uploading the Submission will be deemed the entrant (“Entrant”). The Entrant is the one (1) person who owns the email address associated with the Contest ID. If any group elects to collaborate on a Submission, they are required to designate one (1) person as the agent of the group to enter the Contest, agree to these rules and accept the prize on behalf of the group. Neither Sponsor nor any of the Contest Parties are liable for any disputes between collaborators arising under or related to the Contest.
- Each individual Entrant is allowed a total of ten (10) Submissions.
- Limit one (1) Finalist Prize per person, household and/or email address throughout the Contest Period.
- Each Submission must comply with the Web Site and YouTube Terms of Service, as well as these Official Rules.
- Each Submission must be the original work of the Entrant produced for this Contest; it may not have been entered in or won previous contests or awards; it may not have been published previously in any medium; it must not infringe any party’s intellectual property or other rights; it must be suitable for display and publication on national television (e.g. may not be obscene or indecent, including but not limited to nudity or profanity); it must not contain obscene or pornographic material, it must not contain defamatory statements (including but not limited to words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group), it must not include threats to any person, place, business, group or world peace, it must not invade privacy or other rights of any person, firm or entity, and it must not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations or network standards.
- Each Submission must not feature or refer to third party names, logos or trademarks on street signs, panoramic views, vehicle license plates, or clothing such as T-shirts, hats, etc.
- Each Submission must not utilize live animals unless the Entrant has obtained the consent of the animal’s owner and an affidavit from the animal owner or wrangler that the animal was not harmed in the making of the commercial.
- Each Submission must not contain any copyrighted works (other than as owned by the Entrant).
- Sponsor reserves the right, in their sole discretion, to remove or blur or to ask the applicable Entrant to remove or blur any non-material elements (e.g. small logos on clothing, artwork hanging in the background, etc.) rather than disqualify an otherwise compliant Submission.
- If in Sponsor’s determination it is necessary or advisable to make minor, non-material adjustments to an otherwise compliant Submission to comply with third party specifications or requirements, Sponsor may, in their sole discretion, elect to do so, or may ask the applicable Entrant to do so. If Sponsor requests Entrant to make these adjustments and Entrant chooses not to make these adjustments, Submission is subject to disqualification.
- Submissions that do not comply in all material respects with the Terms of Services or these Official Rules or that otherwise contain prohibited, or inappropriate content as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, will be disqualified and will not considered for prizes. Sponsor makes the final determination as to which Submissions are eligible to take part in this Contest and be considered for a Finalist Prize. Certain Submissions may be featured from time to time on the HowAboutWe.com during the Contest Period and/or in Sponsor’s social media pages and channels, in Sponsor’s sole discretion; being selected as a featured Submission is unrelated to the Judging Criteria and does not guarantee selection as a Finalist in the Contest.
- By entering this Contest and uploading your Submission, you irrevocably grant to Sponsor and their agents the unconditional and perpetual right to post, display, publish, use, adapt, edit and/or modify such Submission in any way, in any and all media, for any purpose, without limitation, and without consideration to you. Finalists agree to irrevocably assign and transfer to the Sponsor any and all rights, title and interest in Submission, including, without limitation, all copyrights and waive all moral rights in Submission. All Contest Entrants further agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and the Contest Parties from any and all claims that any commercial, advertising, presentation, Web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of Sponsor infringe on the rights of Entrant’s work as contained in any Submission.
4. SELECTION OF WINNERS:
- GRAND PRIZE:
Voting will occur exclusively through YouTube’s “like” function. Only “likes” associated with videos posted in response to “HowAboutWe.com — The Offline Dating Site” 30 Second Spot will be counted.
- STAFF PICK PRIZE:
Entrants agree that the Sponsor has the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and that all decisions of Sponsor are final and binding. Finalists, by acceptance of the Finalist Prize (defined below), agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and Contest Parties, as well as each of their respective parent and affiliated companies, and each of their employees, representatives, contractors, advertisers and sponsor from any and all liability, loss, damage, cost or claim related to any allegation regarding the acceptance or use of their prize, including but not limited to the airing of the commercial Submission.If the actual, alleged or publicized conduct of any Entrant is illegal or, if any Entrant has been charged with or convicted of a crime, or in Sponsor’s sole discretion is otherwise grossly offensive or violates generally accepted standards of behavior or otherwise leads the Sponsor to believe or conclude that the public association with the Entrant subjects Sponsor to ridicule, contempt, controversy, embarrassment or scandal, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify Entrant and their Submission will no longer be eligible for this Contest.5. PRIZE DETAILS:
- GRAND PRIZE: Grand Prize consists of $1,500 (awarded in the form of a check, payable to Winner.)
- STAFF PICK PRIZE: Staff Pick Prize consists of $500 (awarded in the form of a check, payable to Winner.)
6. GENERAL CONDITIONS:
- All Entrants must have a valid e-mail address. Finalists are solely responsible for any taxes on their respective prizes, and will receive an IRS Form 1099 for the taxable value of their prize. No substitution of prize is offered, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Prizes are non-transferable. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. If a prize, or any portion thereof, cannot be awarded for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize with another prize of equal or greater value. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion to cancel, modify or terminate the Contest. Further, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual deemed to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or any Sponsor or Contest-related Web Site; (b) violating the Official Rules; (c) violating conditions of use and/or applicable general rules or guidelines; or (d) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. This Contest is offered only in the United States and is governed by the laws of the state of New York. All claims relating in any manner to this Contest or to any Submission must be resolved in the federal or state courts located in New York, New York.
LEGAL WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL, WHETHER OR NOT AN ENTRANT, TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE, DESTROY, TAMPER OR VANDALIZE THIS WEB SITE OR INTERFERE WITH THE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND DILGENTLY PURSUE ALL REMEDIES AGAINST ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
7. WINNER NOTIFICATION:
- Grand Prize Winner (or Grand Prize Winner’s parent/legal guardian if Grand Prize Winner is a minor in the state of his/her residence) will be notified by email within six (6) weeks of the end of the Contest Period and will be required to complete, sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release, and, where lawful, a Publicity Release. Each person whose image, likeness and/or voice appears in a Finalist video must agree that he/she will execute a standard Release. Finalist Prize will be forfeited and an alternate Finalist may be selected if any required documents are not returned within the required number of days or if any mail is returned as undeliverable without forwarding address. If the Grand Prize Winner is awarded the contingent bonus, he/she may be required to sign one or more additional releases, in Sponsor’s discretion. Sponsor reserves the right, to require a potential Finalist to submit to a confidential background check to confirm eligibility and help ensure that the use of any such person in advertising or publicity for the Contest will not bring Sponsor into public disrepute, contempt, scandal or ridicule or reflect unfavorably on the Contest as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. For travel portion of Finalist Prize: Finalists’ Guests will also be required to complete and sign a Liability Release prior to traveling. If a guest is a minor, the Liability Release must be completed by the minor guest’s parent or legal guardian and minor guest must be traveling with his/her parent or legal guardian.
- Any waiver of any obligation hereunder by Sponsor does not constitute a general waiver of any obligation to Entrants. By accepting a prize, Finalist (or Finalist’s parent or legal guardian if Finalist is a minor) agrees, and agrees in writing if requested, that the Submission will be deemed a Work Made For Hire under the Copyright laws of the United States, but if it cannot be so deemed, then the Finalist agrees to irrevocably assign and transfer to Sponsor all of his/her right, title and interest in and to his/her Submission, if any, including all but not limited to all copyright and trademark rights which he or she may have, in the United States and worldwide, therein, for consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged. Finalists hereby waive in favor of Sponsor, all rights of “Droit Moral” or “Moral Rights of Authors” or any similar rights or principles of law that Finalist may now or later have to his/her Submission. Sponsor reserves the right to alter, change or modify a winning Submission, in its sole discretion. Upon request of Sponsor, Finalist shall execute and deliver such additional instrument of assignment, as may be solely deemed by Sponsor, reasonably necessary to establish the ownership of record of the right, title and interest in and to the Submission and of the copyrights transferred and “Moral Rights of Authors” waived under these Official Rules. Should Sponsor fail to request the said assignment as stated, that shall not be deemed a waiver of Sponsor’s rights and Sponsor may at a later time request the assignment.
8. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE:
- No liability or responsibility is assumed by the Sponsor or Contest Parties resulting from any user’s participation in or attempt to participate in the Contest or ability or inability to upload or download any information in connection with participating in the Contest. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the Sponsor or Contest Parties for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences which may affect the operation of the Contest: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any e-mail transmissions to be sent or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted e-mail transmissions; inaccessibility of the Web Site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or the Web Site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention of the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account used in connection with the Contest. The Sponsor and Contest Parties are not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prizes or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Web Site. Use of Web Site is at user’s own risk. The Sponsor and Contest Parties are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind which may be sustained to user’s or any other person’s computer equipment resulting from participation in the Contest, use of the Web Site or the download of any information from the Web Site. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant releases Sponsor and Contest Parties from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to such Entrant’s participation in the Contest. By accepting a prize in the Contest, winners agree that the Sponsor and Contest Parties shall not be liable for any loss or injury resulting from participation in the Contest, acceptance or use of any prize, or any travel related thereto. Sponsor and Contest Parties are not liable in the event that any portion of the Contest, event or the event broadcast is cancelled due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, or any other condition beyond their control (a “Force Majeure Event”).